In his welcome address, the DCE of South Dayi District Assembly, Hon Ernest P. Mallet was happy that the team from Volta River Authority (VRA), Hon Assembly members, Heads of Departments and other individuals were present for the workshop.
He urged everyone to participate in the programme to a successful end.
The Environmental Management Plan (EMP) Coordinator said the Volta River Authority (VRA) had drafted an Environmental Management Plan (EMP) that provides the way forward for the development of the Akosombo and Kpong dams, for viable economic activities. The EMP will also address any environmental and health effects of the Akosombo and the Kpong dams on the people in the catchment areas. Unveiling the plan at a workshop in Accra, a Deputy Chief Executive of the VRA, Mr. Maxwell Odoom, said the preparation of the EMP was to fulfill a legal requirement of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the International Funding Agency such as the World Bank. According to him, VRA had over the years undertaken a lot of activities such as the services of the ‘‘Onipa Nua’’ medical boat and the bilharzia control programme, as well as other development projects to promote the well-being of the lakeside and downstream inhabitants areas. According to Mr. Odoom, the VRA formulated a corporate environmental policy statement in 2005 to guide its operations to ensure good Environmental and Sustainable Practices.
- Volta River operates the Akosombo and Kpong hydro electronic plants constructed in the Volta River in 1961 and 1981 respectively.
- Led to formation of the Volta Lake and Kpong Headpond.
- Resettlement of 80, 000 people for Akosombo and 7, 000 for Kpong.
- Downstream of the dam, the flow pattern of the River changed to a more stable flow, affecting agriculture.
- An EMP is an instrument that details the measure they take.
- To fulfil requirement of data and finances.
- VRA would collaborate with the District Assemblies in the catchment areas of the two dams to ensure that the EMP was effectively implemented.
Schistosomiasis Control Programme
- Evaluation of Mass Drug Administration (MDA).
- Volta Gorge Reforestation Programme in the Asuogyaman District in the Eastern Region
2 Buffer Zone Reforestation Programme in the South Dayi, North Dayi, Kpando and Biakoye Districts in the Volta Region.
- Bamboo for the protection of the Volta Lake.
- Environmental Education
- Seedling Production
- Tree Planting
- Survival Survey
- Payment of Economic Services
- Forest Protection
- Alternative Livelihood Programme
- Promotion of fuel efficient domestic cooking stoves
- Surveillance monitoring.